Wahoo Public Schools Develops Partnership to Install Full Time Athletic Trainer
Tim Tommerup Hired for New Position
WPS has enjoyed a long-standing relationship with Nebraska Orthopaedic over the past six years, and is very thankful for the services that they have provided for our athletes, coaches, and families. The opportunity to partner with a local healthcare provider in SMC is something that we believe gives us another excellent service for our students, staff, and families, while keeping that service very close to home. WPS is extremely excited for this outstanding opportunity and believes it will hold true benefit for its student-athletes.
Certified Athletic Trainer Tim Tommerup has been hired for the position. Tommerup has an extensive background at both the high school and collegiate levels. These experiences include:
• A 20-year veteran of athletic training with experience in the high school, community college, hospital and university settings.
• Last eight years as a head athletic trainer at the University level, NCAA division III.
• Six years experience as a university instructor in athletic training and exercise science curriculum.
• Master's degree in Kinesiology from Louisiana State University.
• Bachelor's degree in Athletic Training from Eastern Washington University.
Tim is married to Lori and has two sons – Devin and Ty, and daughter Emmie. Tim and his family are currently residing in Lincoln.
Some key highlights of this program include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Bryan LGH and Saunders Medical Center will provide funding for the program/trainer. In addition, SMC, LOC, and Bryan LGH will provide medical supplies, staff training opportunities such as CPR training, etc., free of charge.
• LOC has provided outstanding medical expertise to Lincoln Stars Hockey, Lincoln Saltdogs Baseball, Concordia University, Doane College, and Wesleyan University operating as their team physicians.
• LOC, in partnership with Bryan LGH, has developed similar training programs with the following entities: Waverly High School, Seward High School, York High School, David City Public and Aquinas High School, Lincoln Christian High School, Lincoln Lutheran High School, Parkview Christian High School, Lincoln Midget Football, Lincoln Youth Softball Association, and Lincoln Rugby.
• The full time trainer will be the sole trainer for Wahoo Public Schools.
• The full time trainer is available year-round for all sports and summer camps.
• The full time trainer will attend practices every day.
• The full time trainer will see and care for Wahoo Middle School athletes as well as high school. Our former training service did not provided this opportunity.
• The full time trainer can also assist in the weight room to assure proper lifting technique.
• The full time trainer will conduct IMPACT testing (concussion screening) for athletes as requested by the school. All IMPACT testing (baseline and post concussion) will be completed by the trainer at no charge.
• The full time trainer will provide education to the coaching staff on a variety of topics as requested by the school.
• Any physical therapy group is still welcome to attend games on the sidelines as the school wishes or allows, even with the trainer present. This program is not intended to take away choices or treatment with physical therapy. However, the athletic trainer will be the primary point person/care provider at such games.
• A primary goal of the program is community support. The trainer will support other activities such as youth football, summer baseball/softball, and track club on an as needed basis.
• Bryan LGH and LOC are selective in providing such services to schools. The goal is student/athlete support and care.
Once again, Wahoo Public Schools is extremely excited about this opportunity. Often, change can be hard; however, we hold full confidence that the coverage, resources, and expertise will be second to none. We know you will feel the same as you have the opportunity to meet Tim. Should you have questions regarding this program, please feel free to contact the high school office at (402) 443-4332 or WPS Athletic Director Jason Libal via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.