WHS Career Exploration Opportunities (CEOs) Program
New program focuses on CTE & offers students real-world experiences to become career ready
February is National Career and Technical Education Month! It is an opportunity to celebrate Career and Technical Education (CTE) and the achievements and accomplishments of CTE programs across Nebraska and the United States. It is also the ideal time to introduce Wahoo students, staff, and community to our Career Exploration Opportunities (CEOs) Program.
The goal of the CEOs program is to help Wahoo High School students become career ready by discovering their passions, confidence, and skills in a real-world environment related to their chosen career path. We are currently developing two opportunities for the 2017-18 school year, with a plan to expand and include more career fields in the years beyond.
Beginning in the fall of 2017, there will be a Career Exploration Opportunity in Health Sciences at Saunders Medical Center, and another in the Skilled and Technical Sciences field at JEO Consulting Group, Inc. High school seniors who are enrolled full-time and in good academic standing are eligible to apply for the semester-long program. Program participation will be by selection of school administration. Please contact Mr. Harris for more information.
The CEOs program is designed to:
- Provide work-based opportunities in a career field of interest through on-the-job training, mentoring, and job shadowing
- Expose and introduce the student to all aspects of the industry
- Promote problem solving and critical thinking through real/simulated tasks
- Make professional connections and build relationships, increase network
- Integrate vocational skills and academic learning
- Develop technical and soft skills through a practical curriculum
- Increase awareness of different opportunities available after high school
- Inform students about postsecondary education and training required in their career field
- Gain competency in workplace professionalism
If you, or your company, are interested in partnering with Wahoo High School for future programs, please contact CEOs Coordinator Shannon Hauswald at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Increase your community impact and the future of your industry by educating and exposing high school students to their potential career!