Note to parents of student-athletes about communication with coaches
To Parents/Guardians of WPS Student-Athletes:
It is very difficult to accept your child not playing as much as you had hoped. WPS Coaches are professionals. They make decisions based on what they believe to be best for all student-athletes involved. There are certain issues that can be and should be discussed with your child’s coach.
The three items listed below will not be discussed:
- Playing time, positioning, and event entry
- Team strategies, game tactics, play calling
- Any discussion about other student-athletes
There are situations that may require a conference between the coach and player, or coach and parent. These conferences are encouraged. We also strongly encourage a discussion between the parent and player. A parent having the same expectations as the player is crucial. It is also important that all parties involved have a clear understanding of the other person’s position.
When a conference is necessary, the following procedures should be used to help resolve any concerns:
- Student-Coach: Open-door policy for all coaches
- Parent-Coach-Student: Done by appointment (email or phone)
If you have a concern to discuss with a coach, the procedure you should follow is:
- Contact the coach to schedule an appointment (email or phone)
- Appointments or meetings should take place either over the phone or at the school.
* Please do not attempt to confront a coach before or after a contest or practice. These can be emotional times for both the parent and the coach. Meetings of this nature usually do not promote positive resolutions.
THE NEXT STEP:
What can a parent do if the meeting with the coach did not provide a satisfactory resolution?
- Call and schedule an appointment with Wahoo High School’s or Wahoo Middle School's Activities Director or Principal to discuss the situation.
At this meeting the appropriate next step can be determined, if necessary.
Thank you for your cooperation, and we hope for nothing but the best experience for you and our student-athletes. GO WARRIORS!!
Marc Kaminski, Wahoo Middle School Principal/Wahoo High School Activities Director