Wahoo Public Schools continues accreditation history
AdvancED external review team completes 2016 evaluation; full report posted below
2010 marked 100 years of continuous accreditation of Wahoo Public Schools through North Central Association (NCA). Joined by the Commission on Accreditation & School Improvement (CASI), NCA-CASI is an accreditation division of AdvancED, advancing excellence in education worldwide.
Accreditation is a voluntary method of quality assurance developed more than 100 years ago by American universities and secondary schools, and designed primarily to distinguish schools adhering to a set of educational standards. Today, the accreditation process is used at all levels of education, and is recognized for its ability to effectively drive student performance and continuous improvement in education.
AdvancED Accreditation is not about earning a label for a one-time evaluation. Rather, it recognizes and supports the journey of continuous improvement. The power of AdvancED Performance Accreditation lies in the connections and linkages between and among the conditions, processes, and practices within an institution that impact student performance and organizational effectiveness.
Through the External Review process, conducted by a team of highly qualified external peer evaluators who examine the institution’s adherence and commitment to AdvancED Standards and continuous improvement, institutions will receive a comprehensive report of the team’s findings with recognition of Powerful Practices, Opportunities for Improvement, and Improvement Priorities. The External Review is a rigorous process that includes the in-depth examination of evidence and relevant data, interviews with all stakeholder groups, and extensive observations of learning, instruction, and operations.
1. Purpose and Direction – The school maintains and communicates a purpose and direction that commit to high expectations for learning as well as shared values and beliefs about teaching and learning.
2. Governance and Leadership – The school operates under governance and leadership that promote and support student performance and school effectiveness.
3. Teaching and Assessing for Learning – The school’s curriculum, instructional design, and assessment practices guide and ensure teacher effectiveness and student learning.
4. Resources and Support Systems – The school has resources and provides services that support its purpose and direction to ensure success for all students.
5. Using Results for Continuous Improvement – The school implements a comprehensive assessment system that generates a range of data about student learning and school effectiveness and uses the results to guide continuous improvement.
Following the External Review, the team leaders presented their exit report to an audience of stakeholders.
Wahoo Public Schools was both applauded by the external team and provided suggestions for continued improvement. Wahoo Public Schools received praise for two Powerful Practices related to our strong supportive culture and our clean and safe facilities. Two required actions were identified: mentoring or induction of new staff and our career guidance program.
In addition, two areas were recognized as opportunities for growth: a more consistent use of our identified Marzano instructional practices and improved documentation of our informal staff evaluation and feedback.
The School Improvement Advisory Team thanks all participants and stakeholders for their dedication and support of Wahoo Public Schools.